Good question…why have we chosen to work with linen? When we started out in early 2015, the goal was to create handmade textiles using traditional design techniques. When we visited Mallorca, however, we discovered drap. We bought a few sample pieces, laid them out on the studio table & were hooked with its beauty and ability to take color. With this discovery, we decided to launch espanyolet with a focus on this beautiful historical material. Here are 5 things that we didn't know about linen that make us love it even more:
1. Linen is valued for its exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather (which is why it's historically been used as bed covers in the hot climate of the Mediterranean region)
2. Linen is a natural antiseptic, so neither bacteria or fungus can live on it (this stuff can be stored for decades in old fincas without a speck of mold growing on it)
3. The more it is washed, the softer it becomes
4. It absorbs moisture well & releases it quickly, so linen fabric doesn't stick to the body (nice for those hot summer nights under our bed covers)
5. Linen is the strongest of the vegetable fibers with 2 to 3 times the strength of cotton. With care, it will last forever.